Thursday, March 26, 2009

Breakfast at the CI

As I arrived at the Campus Center for breakfast, I was surprised to see a long line waiting to get into the cafeteria. Apparently many students go just before closing time. I was delighted to see the variety of breakfast items and students told me that breakfast is the best meal of the day at Whittier. I scraped the bottom of the oatmeal container, loaded up with raisins and cranberries, and found “my” friends (Martina Miles, Lauren Crozier, and Joselynn Cruz). Over breakfast I learned that at least some students’ schedules are not that different from mine. I thought I would encounter students who were up half the night and slept late – not my breakfast mates! I heard snippets of conversation about classes they would have today (lots of talk about Derrida and sustainable food choices), and I heard a story (is it true?) about a time when we were called “the Squirrels” rather than the Poets and when our football team encountered dead squirrels hung up on trees right before a big game with rival Oxy. We changed our name to Poets shortly thereafter, according to this story. I’ll have to look into this tomorrow too.

No comments:

Post a Comment